<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, May 13, 2003

To burn or not to burn...
Relax, this is not a "turn or burn message." This is a question on the ethics (or lack thereof) of burning digital media. This is something I have struggled with for quite some time. Yes, before anyone asks, In the past I have been guilty of copying records onto tapes, however most of this was in my preChristian days. I have to admit I find it distressing to hear stories about advance release copies of some of my favorite Christian bands showing up on ebay, or even worse, places where they can be downloaded for free. Shouldn't we as Christians be above this sort of thing. We are in effect stealing from our brothers and sisters in Christ, when we engage in this type of behavior. While this article deals mainly with Christian Music, stealing from secular artists is no better.

I have a friend who speaks on musical topics to Christian groups. He explains that we vote with our dollars, so if we buy that Eminem CD, we are encouraging him to continue creating objectionable material. This is a very valid point, but one young man brought it back to the issue at hand. He raised his hand and said, "I don't buy it, I download it and burn it for free." This young Christian man was very proud that Eminem wasn't getting his money. He was also missing the point. First off, Eminem wasn't getting his money but he was getting his time and his mind. Secondly, if we carry this to its natural conclusion, Eminem was being robbed by a Christian.

I once heard a person say, "Why should I spend $17 on a CD when I can get a great quality "burnable CD" for about 75 cents?" As an artist, I was floored by this statement. My statement is that if that were the case, we should be ale to buy a Picasso or a Rembrandt for about $15-$50 because that's all the materials would have cost. It's the artistry that you pay for. There are also considerable costs over and above the cost in raw materials.

Another argument that comes up from time to time is well I burn it as an evangelistic tool to get my friend to listen to it. This is an argument that almost softens this old preacher's heart but then I think, "You know if it is that important, if hearing this music may help lead a person to eternal salvation, maybe it's important enough to give the person your copy." Surely someone's eternal destination is worth $17. By burning the disc and giving it to them, are you really sending the best signal to your friend? "Here take this item I stole it will tell you about Jesus." Know what I mean?

I guess to me what it all boils down to is this. If we love the ministry of our favorite Christian bands and we want them to keep doing what they are doing, we should support them with our dollars. We should accept the responsibility to do our part to keep the things you value. I call on the people of God to stop burning CDs and to support the ministries of artists, many of whom sacrifice a lot of what the world has to offer to do the work of the Kingdom. The worker is worthy of his wages. Learn not to Burn!
Just a thought.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?