<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, January 17, 2004

I was on one of my lists and a really nice person, posed the question of where are the Mother Theresa's and Martin Luther Kings of our day. I have to admit I was stumped. The only one I could think of was Billy Graham. She agreed, but added this:

I want someone who calls us to challenge our love of money and to shake us out of our self-mode. That kinda thing. Someone who calls us to a heroic life.

It gave me the opportunity to reflect on my own life and the way God has worked in my life. Here is my response.

Okay, I'll admit it I'm a pretty died in the wool evangelical, but the one who really shook me out of all the stuff you mention is Jesus himself. I was an artist (graphic designer), making a meager living at it at times but usually having to have another job to supplement my income and I was totally sold out to the idea of being an artist. I considered anything else failure. I had worked for a licensee of the Ninja Turtles when they were making bazillions in licensing and such and I wanted that so bad I could taste it. At the same time I was a Christian so I compartmentalized my life. One day as I was working at my job and lamenting the fact that I wasn't doing my artwork full time (the turtle craze was over by then but I still could see the possibility of becoming the next big thing), I felt the Lord telling me your art is your idol. I kept rationalizing that it was my God given gift and it had to be the way that I made my living, and He kept saying your work is your idol.

A few weeks later I was at stand in the gap (promise keepers) and the whole day the speakers felt like they had gathered a million guys ao God could talk to me. By the end of that day I had done the scariest thing in my life, I quit art. I should qualify that I had two or three jobs that needed to be finished that had already been contracted, but I finished those and quit. I said to God that I would never do art again unless I did it for Him. I didn't do any art at all for at least six months and it was during that time that God called me to ministry. Eventually He gave it back to me as a tool to be used in ministry. It's funny. I don't sell my work anymore and I'm better than I ever was when I did it for money. Art is fun for me again and now it has a point. I'm doing things now I never could have conceived back then because I was always looking for the angle and the pay day. I tell you my story to say that The ultimate example for selflessness and "non-materialism" is Jesus Himself. Maybe He's the only role model we really need?
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?