<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

In one of the online groups thatI am a part of The question was asked do you have a visual arts ministry in your church? This was my response.

We do have a visual arts ministry but right now it is mainly just me. Of course we are a new church and very small so I have hopes and dreams to expand it as well as all the other arts. I think where I come in at this point is that if my people see me as the pastor being creative and using my gifts that they have permission to use theirs. Also our church is like an art gallery with all kinds of Spiritual art covering the walls. Of course at this point most of it is mine, but since all the pieces were created in conjunction with messages, they serve as visual reminders of the things that I spoke on.

As a new church plant, we have some freedom about what we do. A big part of my vision is not to create arts ministries so much as it is to tap into the God given gifts and talents of my people helping each member to be all that they can be in Christ. My hope is that this creates some weird and wonderful ministries with things people never thought of before, but that all bring glory to God. Unlike a lot of churches, we change what is behind the pulpit quite a bit. Right now there is a large abstract painting up there that has 1 Peter 4:10 on it. It says Each one should use whatever gifts he has received to serve others... That is our goal.

The visual arts are very important to the church. As far back as the design of the Tabernacle, God has used the talents of visual artists in His worship. Beyond that I tend to adhere to this theory. What I hear I forget, What I see I remember, What I do I understand. My goal is not as much to create art as it is to bring the unchanging Word of God to people in a way that they can hear, see, absorb and comprehend so that they can become not just hearers but also does of the Word.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?