<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

I belong to an elist of Christian cartoonists and comic artists and someone posed these questions
3. Should comics drawn by Christians, then reflect and promote that morality?
4. How does this apply to the way Christian artists depict the feminine form and the attire worn by characters?

The following is my reply:

I'd like to key in on question four for a moment about the way we clothe our heroines. Here are a few points.
1. I don't feel like being fitted for a millstone so my goal is not to cause the little ones to stumble.
2. I remember in the early days of my cartooning career, I had a female rock star rat who always wore spandex in the fashion of the day. My twenty something co worker said Oh man she is hot. I was like dude it'sa cartoon and it's a rat. But the poiint stuck with me. I don't want to drive any guy into lust, young or old.
3. Then there's the whole body image thing of our young female readers. All of our media and what they hold up as being perfection is driving young girls into eating disorders and a whole variety of other malodies. I can't speak for anyone else but I don't want to contribute to that. Maybe we need to show a little reality in our work and keep our fantasies to ourselves (or better yet, deal with the condition of our hearts that causes us to think this way in the first place.) Sorry if that sounds harsh, but we are called to a higher standard. Let the hate mail begin, lol.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?