<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, September 04, 2009


Thursday, September 3—Mission Trip Image
It's funny how God works. I have to start this post with a confession. I'm 45 years old, I've been in ministry over ten years and I have never been on a mission trip. There I said it! I've traveled to preach, traveled to write, I've done local service projects, but I have never taken a trip for the sole purpose of serving others on a mission trip. This coming week will change all that. The reasons I have never been on a mission trip are several. First, I usually didn't have the vacation time, I always took a week to take kids to a music festival, a week for family and the rest of the time usually went to training. Secondly most of the mission experiences offered revolved around things mechanical and I am simply no gifted in those areas at all. Those both probably sound like pretty good reasons but quite honestly it could be summed up in two words, "excuses, excuses."

A few months ago I received an email from our District Executive about a mission opportunity for pastors. A week in Chalmette, Louisiana, not far from New Orleans. The days would be spent repairing damage from Hurricane Katrina and the evenings in ministry training exploring our call as ministers. What really sealed the deal for me was the note at the bottom of the page no experience necessary, just a willingness to learn. One excuse gone, still had vacation time and had already taken my family vacation and my wife is short on vacation days so I would not be depriving my family, the other excuse gone. Bottom line, I am going to New Orleans this Sunday Morning.

Now when I signed up for this trip, I received a questionnaire asking about my skill set—one of those rate yourself from 1-5 things. Never have I taken such an easy multiple choice test in my life, all the answers were no skill except for one. Wall Painting, at which I am moderately experienced. Then there was a blank space where one can list the skills he has. I mentioned that I am an artist and that I do murals on the off chance that we would be working on a church perhaps I could do a really nice children's room or something. I then said I figured that there would be no need for this, so I was perfectly willing to do the "grunt work" so the skilled construction people could do what they do. I figured when they saw my mural skills they would chuckle and dig out my wheelbarrow, but strangely this week, I received an email. The mission agency asked me if I would be willing to paint a mural for their training area. Of course I agreed, mainly because my life verse is each one should use whatever gifts he has received to serve others, but also because this is something I know I can do. It's going to be an 8 foot by 8 foot design, I should be able to finish it in two days or so, Lord willing. The above is the proposed design. I can't wait to get started.

There's a moral to the mural story. Your gift has value so never write it off. You never know what people can use, so don't be afraid to tell people what you do. You may have a gift they have been looking for but haven't found.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?